Anorexia Facts and Statistics
No one likes to think of themselves as a number, but the fact is that eating disorder statistics refer to real people. Examining eating disorder facts and statistics show just how serious anorexia is.
If you have suffered with anorexia, you are part of these statistics. But that simply means that you are not alone. There are other people who have struggled with anorexia. Even though some people have lost their lives to anorexia, many have made full recoveries. By entering an anorexia program, you can learn the behaviors that can lead to a lasting recovery.
Here are some anorexia facts:
- Anorexia in women aged 15-24 has 12 times higher than for all other causes of death
- 5 – 10% of anorexics die within 10 years of onset and 18-20% of anorexics die after 20 years according to a National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders study
- Anorexia has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness
- Depression in present in 50-75% of anorexia cases
- .5% of women in the U.S. suffer from anorexia
- There's a .3% chance of anorexia in men developing
- 20% of people with anorexia prematurely die from complications related to their disorder including heart failure and suicide.
- Only 10% of individuals with anorexia receive treatment
- 80% of women/girls who receive anorexia treatment do not receive the recommended duration of treatment
- The average caloric intake of an individual with anorexia nervosa is 600-800 calories
- Anorexia mostly affects young women
- 6% of anorexics weigh at least 15% less than their safe normal weight
- 10% of anorexics are male
- Anorexia is the 3rd most common chronic disorder
- 2.3% of people with anorexia die while seeking treatment
If you or a loved one is suffering from anorexia, don’t wait. Seek help today in an anorexia treatment program. Let us help you with your anorexia recovery. With the right individualized treatment program a lifetime of recovery can become a reality. For more information fill out this form or call Rader Programs at 1.800.841.1515